Welcome to Screens and Windows .com & Houston Windows .com.  Proudly providing quality energy saving products for your home.

Home Contact Us Members Area Employment Our Links Buyer Protection NFRC Energy Star





Air Infiltration: The amount of air leaking in & out of a building through cracks in walls, windows & doors.

Argon: An inert, nontoxic gas used in insulating windows to improve the insulating value of sealed glass units.

Bed or Bedding: In glazing, the bead of compound or sealant applied between a lite of glass or panel and the stationary stop of sight bar of the sash or frame.  It is usually the first bead of compound or sealant applied when setting glass or panels.

Beveling: The process of edge finishing flat glass to a bevel angle.

Bow (& Warp): A curve, bend or other deviation from flatness in glass.

BTU: An abbreviation for British Thermal Unit - the heat required to increase the temperature of one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit.

Bubbles: In laminated glass, a gas pocket in the interlayer material or between the glass & the interlayer.  In float glass, a gaseous inclusion greater than 1/32" in diameter.

Buck: Wood frame surrounding a window unit.

Bullet Resistant: A multiple lamination of glass or glass and plastic designed to resist penetration from medium-to-super-power small arms and high-power rifles.

Caulk: The application of a sealant to a joint, crack or crevice. A compound used for sealing that has minimum joint movement capability; sometimes called low performance sealant.

Condensation: The accumulation of water vapor from the air's humidity on any cold surface whose temperature is below the dew point, such as a cold window glass or frame that is exposed to humid indoor air. Low conductivity or warm edge spacers reduce condensation.

Curtain wall: An exterior building wall which carries no roof or floor loads and consists entirely or principally of metal or a combination of metal, glass, and other surfacing materials supported by a metal frame.

Double Glazing: Any use of 2 lites of glass, separated by an air space, within an opening, to improve insulation against heat transfer and/or sound transmission. In insulation glass units, the air between the glass sheets is thoroughly dried & the space is sealed, eliminating possible condensation & providing superior insulating properties.

Double strength: In float glass, approximately 1/8" (3 mm) thick

Egress Size: Make size of a window unit that is sufficient to allow a minimum square foot sash opening to meet BOA or local code requirements.

Elastometric: (adj) Having the property of returning to it's original shape & position after removal of load. (n) an elastic rubber-like substance.

Emissivity: The measure of a surface's ability to emit long-wave infrared radiation.

Fenestration: Any glass panel, window, door, curtain wall, or skylight unit on the exterior of a building.

Flat glass: A general term that describes float glass, sheet glass, plate glass and rolled glass.

Flush glazing (pocket glazing): The setting of a piece of glass or panel into a four-sided sash or frame opening containing a recessed "U" shaped channel without removable stop on three sides of the sash or frame and one channel with a removable stop along the fourth side.

Frame Opening: The width & height measurement in inches, of the opening into which the replacement window will be installed.

Fully Tempered Glass: Flat or bent glass that has been heat-treated to a high surface and/or edge compression to meet the requirements of ASTM C1048, kind FT.  Fully tempered glass if broken will fracture into many small pieces (dice) which are more or less cubical.  Fully tempered glass is approximately four times stronger than annealed glass of the same thickness when exposed to uniform static pressure loads.  Outside of North America is sometimes called "toughened glass".

Gas Filled Units:  Insulating glass units with a gas, other than air, in the air space to decrease the unit's thermal conductivity (U-value) or to increase the unit's sound insulating value. (i.e.: Argon)

Glass: A hard brittle substance, usually transparent, made by fusing silicates, under high temperatures, with soda, lime, etc.

Glass clad polycarbonate: One or more pieces of flat glass bonded with an aliphatic urethane interlayer to one or more sheets of extruded polycarbonate in a pressure/temperature/vacuum laminating process.

Glazing: (n) A generic term used to describe an infill material such as glass, panels, etc. (v) The process of installing an infill material into a prepared opening in windows, door panels, partitions, etc.

Grids: (also called Muttins or Grilles) Colonial square & diamond patterns between the glass.

Heat Absorbing Glass: Glass that absorbs an appreciable amount if solar energy.

Heat-resistant glass: Glass able to withstand high thermal shock, generally because of a low coefficient of expansion.

Heat-Strengthened Glass: Twice as strong as annealed glass; therefore, it is able to resist slightly stronger impacts. Produced in a similar manner to tempered glass (slower cooling than tempered). Heat strengthened glass is not considered safety glass & will not completely dice as will fully tempered glass.

Insulated glass: unit Two or more pieces of glass spaced apart and hermetically sealed to form a single-glazed unit with an air space between the glass. (Commonly called IG units.)

Jamb: Thickness of the wall from the inside surface of the house to the outside surface of the house.

Laminated Glass: Constructed by bonding a tough polyvinyl butyral (PVB) plastic interlayer between two pieces of glass under heat and pressure to form a single piece. Can be made of any kind of glass, but is most typically made of annealed, heat-strengthened, or tempered glass.

Lite: Another term for a pane of glass used in a window. Frequently spelled "light" in the industry, but often spelled "lite" in text to avoid confusion with light as in "visible light".

Low-Emittance (low-E) coating: Microscopically thin, virtually invisible, metal or metallic oxide layers deposited on a piece of glass and sealed in an insulating glass unit to reduce the U-Factor. The radiant energy (heat), i.e. long wave infrared, is in effect reradiated back toward its source.

Make Size: The tip-to-tip width & height measurement in inches of the finished window.

Mullion: A horizontal or vertical member that supports and holds such items as panels, glass, sash, or sections of a curtain wall.

Muntin: Horizontal or vertical bars that divide the sash frame into smaller lites of glass.  Muntins are smaller in dimensions & weight than mullions.

Obscure Glass: (see patterned glass)

Oriel: A double hung window unit made with one with one sash larger than the other.

Patterned glass: One type of rolled glass having a pattern impressed on one or both sides. Used extensively for light control, bath enclosures and decorative glazing. Sometimes called "rolled", "figured" or "obscure" glass.

Picture Window: Window unit with a stationary sash that does not operate.

Projection: The distance that a bay, bow or garden window extends outward.  Measured  from the exterior of the building to the furthest extension of the window.

Reflective Glass: Glass with a metallic coating to reduce solar heat gain.

Rough Opening: The opening in a wall in which a window or door is to be installed.

R-value: The thermal resistance of a glazing system expressed ft2/hr/oF/Btu (m2/W/oC). The R-value is the reciprocal of the U-value. The higher the R-value, the less heat is transmitted throughout the glazing material.

Sash: The portion of the window that holds the glazing, usually the portion of the window that operates.

Scratches: Any marking or tearing of the surface appearing as though it had been done by either a sharp or rough instrument.

Slider Window: A horizontally opening window.  In a 2 section - has 2 operable sash.  3 section has 1 stationary & 2 operable sash.

Sloped Glazing: Any installation of glass that is at a slope of 15 degrees or more from vertical.

Solar Control Glass: Tinted and/or coated glass that reduces the amount of solar heat gain transmitted through a glazed product.

Storm door: A panel or sash door placed on the outside of an existing door to provide additional protection from the elements.

Storm window: A glazed panel or sash placed on the inside or outside of an existing sash or window as additional protection against the elements.

Tempered glass: Flat or bent glass that has been heat-treated to a high surface and/or edge compression to meet the requirements of ASTM C 1048, kind FT. Fully tempered glass, if broken, will fracture into many small pieces (dice) which are more or less cubical. Fully tempered glass is approximately four times stronger than annealed glass of the same thickness when exposed to uniform static pressure loads.

Tinted glass: Glass with colorants added to the basic glass batch that gives the glass color, as well as, light and heat-reducing capabilities.

Transmittance: The ability of the glass to pass light and/or heat, usually expressed in percentages (visible transmittance, thermal transmittance, etc.)

Transom Window: Window unit with a stationary sash, usually installed over a door.

U-Factor (U-Value): A measure of the rate of non-solar heat loss or gain through a material or assembly. The lower the U-Factor, the greater a window's resistance to heat flow and the better its insulating values.

United inches: Total of the width & height of the frame opening expressed in full inches..

Weather-stripping: A material or device used to seal the opening between sash and/or sash and frame.

Weeps (or Weep Holes): Drain holes or slots in the sash or framing member to prevent accumulation of condensation & water.

Window Unit: A non-load bearing device to fill a hole in a wall, consisting of both frame & sash members.

Wire glass: Rolled glass with a layer of meshed or stranded wire completely imbedded. Available as polished glass and patterned glass. Approved polished wired glass is used as transparent or translucent fire protection rated glazing. . The wire restrains the fragments from falling out of the frame when broken. 

More coming soon....

Information Request Form

Select the items that apply, and then let us know how to contact you.

Send literature
Have a salesperson contact me

      I am interested in: 

   How Did You Find Us? 

First Name
Last Name
Zip Code
Additional Info:


Home Contact Us Members Area Employment Our Links Buyer Protection NFRC Energy Star

Send mail to shane@screensandwindows.com with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright 2007 Citywide Screens & Windows
Last modified: 3MAR2007